Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a current year return after I mistakenly filed the prior year's return as a final return.

MikeASA
Level 1

I mistakenly filed a 1065 having clicked final return. I now need to file the next year's return but Proconnect won't allow me to create a new return because the prior year was efiled as a final return. How can I create a new year's return?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

You can create a copy of the original 2021 return, uncheck the Final box, and use that copy to create the 2022 return.

I suppose you will need to e-file an amended 2021 return with the Final box unchecked before e-filing the 2022 return.  Otherwise, the 2022 return might be rejected because the IRS would have closed the file for the partnership.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
JRC
Level 8

0 Cheers
MikeASA
Level 1

Thanks for your reply ... but it doesn't work. The prior year return is locked.  Also, the IRS doesn't require an amended return.  They won't accept a final return until they have approved the dissolution.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

IRS does not approve a partnership dissolution.

Somewhere around here there are instructions for how to unlock a return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager