Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid-19 relief includes $300 Charitable Contributions above the line. MFJ gets $600?

dndngh
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

We voted to defund the police and appoint social workers who can help those who, when all else fails, need to read the Form 1040 instructions.  From Page 29:

Line 10b
If you don't itemize deductions on
Schedule A (Form 1040), you (or you
and your spouse if filing jointly) may be
able to take a charitable deduction for
cash contributions made in 2020.
Enter the total amount of your contributions

on line 10b. Don't enter more than:

• $300 if single, head of household,
or qualifying widow(er);
• $300 if married filing jointly; or
• $150 if married filing separately

View solution in original post

18 Comments 18
IRonMaN
Level 15

Not until next year.

Slava Ukraini!
dndngh
Level 3

This is a ty 2020 question. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, and I gave you a TY 2020 answer - it's $300 on the 2020 return and $600 on the 2021 return.

Slava Ukraini!
dndngh
Level 3

Your answer for 2020 returns is that single filers and joint filers get the same amount- $300?

sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes

Ex-AllStar
dndngh
Level 3

Software is using just $300. Am I missing something? 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Software is using just $300. Am I missing something?"

Yes; read the IRS info:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/special-300-tax-deduction-helps-most-people-give-to-charity-this-year-e...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/most-taxpayers-can-deduct-up-to-300-in-charitable-contributions-without...

And the Program is doing it right. That makes 4 times you have learned this from this forum. But going to the IRS source, or the 1040 Instructions, or the Charitable Pub, would probably work well, too.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa 

But, are you sure of that?

qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh, I also found you this: "You are allowed a charitable contribution up to a maximum $300 ($150 if your filing status is married filing separately) as an adjustment to income. Claim the deduction on the Charitable contribution line of your tax return."

qbteachmt
Level 15

"But, are you sure of that?"

Those convoluted answers really require some self-study time.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think the law that just got passed changes it to $1.54 on the 2020 return.  😭

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

@BobKamman  I think so. Are they changing that retroactively now?

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa 

Matthew 13:13  Therefore I speak to them in parables: because they seeing, see not; and hearing, they hear not, neither do they understand.

dndngh
Level 3

The cited IRS publications do not address the question of whether Single persons enjoy the same benefit as a married couple. Moreover, my research of IRS.gov before posting my question proved fruitless. As to learning it 4 times - it is still unclear.

Do you feel that you are the cop of the forum? Must you answer all queries? Let the matter drop.

0 Cheers
dndngh
Level 3

Looks like the answer. What is the source?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

We voted to defund the police and appoint social workers who can help those who, when all else fails, need to read the Form 1040 instructions.  From Page 29:

Line 10b
If you don't itemize deductions on
Schedule A (Form 1040), you (or you
and your spouse if filing jointly) may be
able to take a charitable deduction for
cash contributions made in 2020.
Enter the total amount of your contributions

on line 10b. Don't enter more than:

• $300 if single, head of household,
or qualifying widow(er);
• $300 if married filing jointly; or
• $150 if married filing separately

qbteachmt
Level 15

"The cited IRS publications do not address the question of whether Single persons enjoy the same benefit as a married couple."

You should read cares act text section 2204 for yourself, and stop debating it with users here, then. As has also been discussed on this forum, it is "taxpayer" which got defined as "per filing unit" and then clarified that MFS is Split.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"As to learning it 4 times - it is still unclear.

Do you feel that you are the cop of the forum? Must you answer all queries? Let the matter drop."

Apparently, yes, Bob's bark is the loudest. It seems it finally got solved by Bob's posting of the 1040 instructions only 1 hour and 5 minutes after I posted that the answer is in the 1040 instructions.

And I lost count of how many times that was answered here; I think we are running out of counters, anyway, and hate to waste them.