Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client is MFJ 65+. A QCD error took taxable up $2k(84,030to86,030). No other changes. FedTax up 540(8,826to9,366). All amounts in 22% bracket. Why not up 440?

ralphlnafziger
Level 2
What am I missing?
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
ralphlnafziger
Level 2

Yes, line 16.

But . . . . I just had an "ah ha moment".  I believe the increased RMD may have changed the taxable amount of capital gains.

FYI - I only do a couple of simple returns for close friends.

Thanks for your reply - it got me thinking of more than brackets!!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Words.

Please respond in complete sentences and explain more.

Ex-AllStar
ralphlnafziger
Level 2

Ok - sentences forthcoming.

I discovered $2,000 of additional retirement income from a traditional IRA.  That increase was the only line item that changed.  Taxable income increased from $84,030 to $86,030.  Federal tax per Intuit increased $540 and I think it should only increase $440 because both taxable amounts are in the 22% bracket.  Why was the increase $540?.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@ralphlnafziger wrote:

Ok - sentences forthcoming.

I discovered $2,000 of additional retirement income from a traditional IRA.  That increase was the only line item that changed.  Taxable income increased from $84,030 to $86,030.  Federal tax per Intuit increased $540 and I think it should only increase $440 because both taxable amounts are in the 22% bracket.  Why was the increase $540?.

So line 16 of the 1040 increased by that much?  Or are you looking at something else that shows something increased by $540?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Was Social Security already 85% taxable before the change?  What credits are they claiming?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Why was the increase $540?"

What is the error? There could be additional tax or penalty, based on what happened. Details matter.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
ralphlnafziger
Level 2

Yes, line 16.

But . . . . I just had an "ah ha moment".  I believe the increased RMD may have changed the taxable amount of capital gains.

FYI - I only do a couple of simple returns for close friends.

Thanks for your reply - it got me thinking of more than brackets!!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I believe the increased RMD may have changed the taxable amount of capital gains."

So, in addition to QCD, there is taxable RMD? Or, too much QCD? There are ordering rules for QCD and RMD; I don't know if that helps. Here is a nice article:

https://obliviousinvestor.com/qualified-charitable-distributions-from-an-ira-with-basis/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Did you make the proper entries for the QCD?

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/charitable-donations-deductions/mark-ira-di...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers