Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you review the Colorado Non-Resident Form DR 0104PN is calculating a tax on line 35 based on line 9, which is zero, please investigate?

klmeyers
Level 1
The program correctly shows no tax due in the letter,  but will not allow an e-filing because it is requiring that the tax be paid by direct debit.
0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

What exactly does the diagnostic say?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
klmeyers
Level 1

I was extending the return.  It was disallowing me to file an e-file extension unless a payment was included in direct debit.  They did not owe tax, except that a tax was appearing on the form **bleep**. 

Since the taxpayer had negative income,  I just deleted the Colorado return since as an non resident they would not have to file.   

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Ah, you didn't mention the bit about this being an extension in your original post.

This is because CO automatically extends returns by 6 months to Oct 16.  If your client owes nothing, there is no extension to request.

In the event your client has a balance due, 90% of the balance due would need to be paid in to avoid a late payment penalty but DR 0158-I cannot be efiled by any tax software, AFAIK.  (CO has a few quirks, as you may already know - to claim other state tax credit, you actually need to upload the other state's return on their website separately).

We normally would advise clients to just make an online payment on the CO DoR website if we expect that they would have a balance due.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

"Since the taxpayer had negative income, I just deleted the Colorado return since as an non resident they would not have to file."

If you have something to add, you can always add a new post.  Adding new information after the fact (without any reference to your edit) confuses others who may come here for help with similar questions in the future.

In any case, your client would be required to file a CO return if he/she has CO-source income and is required to file a federal return.  Penalty for willful failure to file is the greater of $75 or 100% of the tax due.

Your statement about your client not having a CO filing requirement, based on what you've told us so far, is not correct.  If your client decides not to file after having been informed of the potential penalty, that's your client's call.

Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

I wonder what got bleeped this time.

Ex-AllStar