Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the founder of a charity claim unreimbursed expenses for his/her charity on schedule A as a deduction?

The taxpayer paid expenses for her charity and wants to claim them as a deduction. These expenses are not in their 990 return.
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Your person needs a letter if the amount is more than $250. The wording I have the charity (in my case, a private foundation) use in their acknowledgement letter is:
"The Foundation hereby acknowledges you have incurred the following reasonable expenses on behalf of the Foundation, and have waived your right to seek reimbursement for these expenses under Section 8 of the Foundation's Trust Agreement. These amounts may be deducted by you as additional charitable contributions:" 

The letter also includes a detailed listing of dollar amounts, dates, payees, and a narrative description of the expense.

And, of course, "No goods or services were provided by the Foundation in return for your contributions."

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Perhaps they could be volunteer expenses - charitable contribution deduction.

Ex-AllStar
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Your person needs a letter if the amount is more than $250. The wording I have the charity (in my case, a private foundation) use in their acknowledgement letter is:
"The Foundation hereby acknowledges you have incurred the following reasonable expenses on behalf of the Foundation, and have waived your right to seek reimbursement for these expenses under Section 8 of the Foundation's Trust Agreement. These amounts may be deducted by you as additional charitable contributions:" 

The letter also includes a detailed listing of dollar amounts, dates, payees, and a narrative description of the expense.

And, of course, "No goods or services were provided by the Foundation in return for your contributions."

Thank you Phoebe,

0 Cheers