Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I enter a description of how I determined FMV for publicly traded securities on Form 8283, Section A in PTO?

bethteeter
Level 1
Taxpayer contributed $30,000 to Fidelity Charitable Gifts Fund. Apparently the method used to determine FMV should be "Treasury Regulation #20.2031-2". None of the items in the dropdown for that field are accurate (enterred in the UNDER $5,000 screen).
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Yes. Here is the header for Section A

Section A. Donated Property of $5,000 or Less and Publicly Traded Securities—List in this section only an item (or groups of similar items) for which you claimed a deduction of $5,000 or less. Also list publicly traded securities and certain other
property even if the deduction is more than $5,000 (see instructions).

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
bethteeter
Level 1

Thank you, but I'm looking to get into the field for column (i) of Section A, Part 1, Line A, "Method used to determine the FMV". The input screen gives me four options: Appraisal, Thrift Shop Value, Catalog, or Comparable Sales. None of those are correct. The valuation is FMV on the stock exchange on the date of the contribution. How do I get that onto the form? 

0 Cheers
jlpcpa
Level 2

Did this get resolved? 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"None of those are correct. The valuation is FMV on the stock exchange on the date of the contribution."

= comparable sales.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
jlpcpa
Level 2

Thank you! That's what I was going to select since I didn't have an option to write in a method. 

0 Cheers