Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA Return Rejection for Form 4840 PropertyGivenUpAcquiredDate

Derrick
Level 3

When filing a tax return for someone that had 1031'd a property in CA for properties outside CA (one to many), in the year PRIOR to the year I am filing, I received a rejection from CA on the relatively new form 3840  (that's designed to enforce CA's claw-back law to tax gain that accumulated while the property was in CA before the 1031).

The rejection information sent by CA FTB is:

A valid date is required to be entered for each property received or given up
ReturnData/CAForm3840/LikeKindExchangeInfo/PropertyGivenUpAcquiredDate

If I look at the generated form 3840 closely enough, I see the date for the property given up is listed as "16/02/4014"
The entry points to this form come from several places, but the relevant screen is in "Other" on the left, down at "CA Like-Kind Exchanges (3840)".  Looking down at the "Date like-kind property given up was originally acquired" and the date entered is 08/01/2007.  (Note the amount being reported on the form and rejected by CA is double the date entered, 16/02/4014)

I found a workaround posted next, I'm reporting this here just in case anyone else hits this.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Derrick
Level 3

I was eventually able to clear this problem by going to:

<State and Local (on the left)>

<Other>

<CA Like-Kind Exchanges (3840) - Annual/Final Data>

Scroll down to Part I "Date like-kind property given up was originally acquired"

Delete the date so that it is blank.

I then clicked preview forms, and it now shows 08/01/2007 instead of 16/02/4014.

I was then able to e-file CA successfully.  

I should also note that when I return to that screen now, it once again has 08/01/2007 in the filed, but the preview still shows correctly, so even though it now looks exactly the same as it did before in the entry field area, it is no longer bugged on the forms and filing.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Derrick
Level 3

I was eventually able to clear this problem by going to:

<State and Local (on the left)>

<Other>

<CA Like-Kind Exchanges (3840) - Annual/Final Data>

Scroll down to Part I "Date like-kind property given up was originally acquired"

Delete the date so that it is blank.

I then clicked preview forms, and it now shows 08/01/2007 instead of 16/02/4014.

I was then able to e-file CA successfully.  

I should also note that when I return to that screen now, it once again has 08/01/2007 in the filed, but the preview still shows correctly, so even though it now looks exactly the same as it did before in the entry field area, it is no longer bugged on the forms and filing.

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for reporting back and helping others, @Derrick

0 Cheers
hwhite
Level 1

Thank you so much! I had the same issue and your post helped to clear the issue and submit the tax return. Really appreciate you providing the workaround.

0 Cheers