Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are employee training tax deductible?

Fat Poutine
Level 3

I saw that there is a $5250 limit for education assistance but I am thinking it may be related to college tuition. My client sometimes hires a presentation coach to train a few top level employees. Are those also subject to the $5250 limit per employee, and additional expense would be subject to fringe benefits? 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There is no limit for training employees.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There is no limit for training employees.

Fat Poutine
Level 3

Thanks, I think what you said make sense. Do you have source for this? I am trying to look but could not find anything that would define "training (unlimited)" vs "education assistance (capped)". 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Do you have source for this? I am trying to look but could not find anything that would define "training (unlimited)" vs "education assistance (capped)". "

You're asking about Apples and Puppies.

Do I need to worry about a limit when I deduct the office electricity expense? What about if I reimburse an employee for mileage under An Accountable Plan?

Different types of expenditures, one of which has qualifications and limitations.

Paying a trainer is an operating expense.

Reimbursing an employee for their tuition, which they get at a qualified/certified/accredited institution (and not from the employer) is different. That's a Benefit.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.