Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amending 2020 Return

tetertax
Level 2

I am trying to amend a 2020 return originally prepared **bleep** except for the tax (which is automatically calculated by the system). The taxpayer prepared through TurboTax originally so it should be correct. Please help.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you saying all of the numbers match up except for the tax?

Did you properly enter long term vs short term gains?

Did you properly enter qualified dividends?

I really doubt that TT got it right and PCT is getting it wrong. 

You can go into the input for the 1040X and change the numbers for as originally filed. 

P.S. I am curious as to what W O R D got bleeped. The censor program often takes things out of context, like when but is spelled wrong. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
tetertax
Level 2

I saw that it bleeped it so I even tried to go back and modify it.

So...thank you for guessing my question correctly. You are correct, the ordinary dividends were incorrect (the taxpayer entered them wrong), so when I put their incorrect numbers in I get the same answer they did. Now, I can amend. 

I didn't use the originally filed method because I am trying to amend it to add the first Rebate Recovery because they didn't receive it and that wasn't an amendment option.

Thank YOU!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you absolutely, positively satisfied that they did not get the recovery rebate? https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-g-correcting-issues-after-the-2020-ta...

Follow https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/federal-taxes/amend-individual-return-1040x... for amending

Remove the check mark in the 1040X section, then be sure to enter the amount they should have received in the Recovery Rebate section and see it that then matches the as filed. Then go to the 1040X screen to start the process by checking the box. Enter -1 as the actual amount of recovery rebate and give the wording in the 1040x that it is the reason for filing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers