Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60-day rollover

cakeen
Level 3

How do i designate an IRA distribution was paid back within 60 days?  Distribution code on the 1099-R is a 1, but I do know the entire amount was put back in the IRA within 60 days.

Thank you,

C

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

"on the 1099-R is a 1"

The 1099-R issuer uses the code for the money Out. They don't always know what happened to the money after this.

"but I do know the entire amount was put back in the IRA within 60 days"

A trad IRA distribution to your taxpayer would have had required withholding. Have you got the Form 5498 to see the total rolled over? This is for the money In. They would have had to make up the shortfall out of regular funds on hand.

You want to see both forms, confirm it's a rollover (redeposit, not listed as new contribution) and meets the requirements.

Are you using the help articles:

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-article/retirement-benefits/common-questions-form-...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
cakeen
Level 3

He did not have any withholdings from the distribution.  The reason for this was to help purchase a home while waiting for funds to clear from the home they were selling.   I'm just wondering where in ProConnect I designate this should not be taxed or penalized as an early distribution.

Is it an Override situation or is there a box to click that signals all funds were returned to the IRA within 60 days?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I'm just wondering where in ProConnect I designate this should not be taxed or penalized as an early distribution."

Did you click and follow the link I provided to the Help article, then expand any subsections that apply to what you need to know? Click that link I provided.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers