Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Fraud - Amended Return

SaoneFinancial
Level 1

Client needs to file 2020 returns to be eligible for 3rd stimulus payment. Their AGI was too high in 2019. Submitted returns yesterday and received error message that the returns have already been received, so a fradulent return has been sent. 

Since filing by mail is taking a year, they will not receive 3rd stimulus payment until next tax season. 

Can I e-file an amended return with a pdf attachment of form 14039 ? Or is snail mail the only option?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
sjrcpa
Level 15

You need to do the original return with the 14039 on paper.

You wouldn't be able to efile an amended return since you did not efile the "original" (Fraudulent) return.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Their AGI was too high in 2019."

That doesn't apply to anything now. You are using the 2020 tax return to reconcile what they got against what they qualify for, because 2020 is the Actuals that matter. There is no Eligibility based on 2019; there were prepayments based on 2019 as a guesstimate to 2020.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
BobKamman
Level 15

Read the entire post, it's obvious that 2019 AGI is extraneous and they just mention it to explain why 2020 is important. 

To @SaoneFinancial -- yes, a few returns (both paper and e-filed) are taking up to a year to process, but most are taking more like two months.  This should be a lesson to your clients that procrastination is risky.  My bet is that they had everything they needed for you to prepare the return by February 15.  

SaoneFinancial
Level 1

that is incorrect, taxpayers who have received the 3rd stimulus payment based on 2019 "actuals" but have not filed 2020 returns with an AGI higher than the threshold will not have to return the payment. Also you didn't answer my question. 

0 Cheers
SaoneFinancial
Level 1

the client had unemployment income so were unable to file until the waiver was updated. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This doesn't apply: "taxpayers who have received the 3rd stimulus payment based on 2019 "actuals" but have not filed 2020 returns"

The 2019 data was used for Projection. Don't confuse the EIP and the EITC.

"with an AGI higher than the threshold will not have to return the payment."

You stated your client didn't get the third payment.

"Also you didn't answer my question."

Yes, you got an answer: "You need to do the original return with the 14039 on paper.

You wouldn't be able to efile an amended return since you did not efile the "original" (Fraudulent) return."

Did you not like that answer?

Let's stop bringing into this topic all the other things that did not happen and do not apply. Also, you should Read the info at the links I provided, since they are links to the IRS.

Step 1. Deal with the issue of Fraudulent Return.

The 2021 tax return will be used to reconcile the eligibility of the third stimulus against what the taxpayer already received.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@SaoneFinancial if I were you I wouldn't pay @qbteachmt, as he didn't answer your question to your liking. 😁

abctax55
Level 15

@SaoneFinancial - " Also you didn't answer my question. "   Well, you DO get what ya' pay for around here 🤣

@Terry53029  - @qbteachmt may be offended, as "he" is a "she" 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Well, it's true that I didn't answer; sjrcpa had already answered. I wonder what happened to my links that I reference I had put here? Hmmm...well, call me anything you want, but don't call me late to dinner.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Sorry for the gender error @qbteachmt, And thanks for letting me know @abctax55 

qbteachmt
Level 15

It's not important nowadays.