Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of Primary Home Exclusion Question

reliable
Level 1

My client bought their primary home on 04/05/2013, lived there until 07/01/2017, moved out and rented the home starting 07/01/2017, sold the house on 4/21/2022 for a net gain of $320,000. Can they claim the capital gain Exclusion? He lived at the house more than 2 years and owned the house for more than 5 years. 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

The exclusion says 2 of the last five years.  Even using the new math they teach in school these days I think you are going to have a hard time getting there.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

That's the price they pay when they don't talk to a tax accountant or at least do some proper research BEFORE taking a decision.  You can't turn back time, not unless... Forget it!  Heard from the market it's hard to get your hands on a Delorean these days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

The DeLorean is easy as long as you are willing to pay the asking price.  It's finding the flux capacitor that is going to cause some problems.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

I suppose the tax on the gain just won't quite cut it to be worth the cost.  But that could be an investment for future "returns". 😂

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

"future" or "past" returns?

That DeLorean and the flux capacitor can take ya' both directions 🙂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"