Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Term definition

Novice
Level 1

What does the term “basis” mean in the sentence, “Enter the basis in your traditional IRA,”?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
User FIDO 61
Level 8

"IRA basis represents the funds in an IRA that have already been taxed, either because they were nondeductible IRA contributions, or they were after-tax funds rolled over from company retirement plans prior to the IRS rule change in September of 2014."

Details: Tracking Down IRA Basis: A Gold Mine for Beneficiaries

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

Basis = money that was Post-tax. Amounts invested into that tax deferred account which those contributed funds were Not able to be deducted from taxes when originally contributed are your Basis. Typically, the tax deferral feature of a traditional IRA means anything you take out later is taxed as Ordinary Income. If you previously contributed funds post-tax, that means its your funds that you already paid taxes on. You don't want to pay taxes again on that amount when you finally withdraw funds from that tax deferred account. That would be Double Taxes. So, you track Basis, and then, each distribution is split and allocated into the nontaxable portion based on your Basis in all similar accounts of that nature.

I just did a thorough answer with examples, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/re-traditional-ira-contribu...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I lol'd

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.