Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Would You Respond?

BobKamman
Level 15

Letter112C.jpg

9 Comments 9
sjrcpa
Level 15

They can't even wait til April 16?

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15

This has to be a scam.  

sjrcpa
Level 15

It looks real. Just incompetent.

I once had an IRS letter saying they couldn't process my 1045 (NOL carryback) claim because it wasn't received by 12/31/xx. The letter was dated 11/15/xx and started out with we received your Form 1045 on 10/2/xx.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

If is isn't a scam..... OMG, what are we in for  ?!@!?? 

Both as taxpayers  AND  tax preparers.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

From what I found from google search: "IRS uses letter 112C to request that you file your return because they are holding money in your account." I do not know if this statement is accurate or not, it is just what I found.

dkh
Level 15

@BobKamman     how did you respond?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Look at the bright side.  At least they must finally be caught up from the backlog that hit them in 2020.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@PATAX  Yes, there is an ES credit on the 2023 account, from a credit-elect on the 2022 return.  This was sent to an elderly couple; one spouse died in early January, so I suspect someone at IRS must have hit the wrong key and meant to send out some sort of condolence letter (although I have never seen one of those from IRS).  It starts out, "we also have no record. . ."  Why the "also"?  No other notice has been received.  

@dkh I haven't responded yet. This was just brought to me yesterday.  I'm waiting to see if they sent the same nonsense to 50,000 other taxpayers, and will issue a Fuggedaboudit notice.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

It's starts with "We also" so it's like Paul Harvey would say: the rest of the story. There's a prequel somewhere.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.