Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to Transfer files from ProSeries to Turbo Tax

Susana370
Level 3

Hello all,

Being a long term user of ProSeries, I decided this year to use TurboTax.

As a retired CPA, I need a simple program for me and my family.

I see instructions to convert from TurboTax to ProSeries, but not the other way around

Can ProSeries convert data files to TurboTax?

Thank you for your response as always

Susana

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Transferring a PDF into TurboTax basically transfers name, address, and Social Security Number.  Not really anything else.

So essentially, you CAN'T transfer ProSeries into TurboTax.

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

ProSeries can't make the conversion. But if you're using a desktop version of TurboTax, when you install it, the program will scan your computer for tax files and ask if you want to use them to start your return. This process should identify ProSeries files automatically for you.

- Rebecca

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You certainly were able to get me confused --------- but I have to admit that I do get confused easily here.  So if you can't convert files, what exactly does "identifying files" really do for you.

Slava Ukraini!
IntuitRebecca

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was the ProSeries program doesn't do anything in this process. The conversion is all handled by TurboTax. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IntuitRebecca wrote:

The conversion is all handled by TurboTax. 

In the past, TurboTax could NOT use ProSeries files to convert to TurboTax.  You had to start from scratch.  Are you saying it now CAN use ProSeries files to convert to TurboTax?

0 Cheers
IntuitRebecca

Yes and no -

TurboTax still can't import a current year return from ProSeries so you can keep working on it. 

But TurboTax does allow you to start a return based on basic info from last year's ProSeries (or Lacerte, or TaxAct, or H&R Block, etc.) return. I think they call this transferring last year's info. 

So, no 2021 ProSeries to 2021 TurboTax transfers. But yes 2021 ProSeries to 2022 TurboTax transfers. 

The whole 2021 return wouldn't be accessible or recreated in TurboTax. I'm not sure exactly what they transfer as far as client info or prior year amounts. But it gives you a starting point for the new year's return.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Transferring a PDF into TurboTax basically transfers name, address, and Social Security Number.  Not really anything else.

So essentially, you CAN'T transfer ProSeries into TurboTax.

Susana370
Level 3

Thank you tax Guy. 

Susana

PhamN
Level 2

I did my own tax returns for years using TurboTax. 

My tax accountant took my last TurboTax data file, imported it into ProSeries, and has been doing our tax returns for years. He's no longer in providing this service and I was given back my 2022 ProSeries tax data files. 

I want to use TurboTax again going forward beginning with 2023 tax returns, using his 2022 data files as the base. 

There are many items carried over Year after year for many rental properties as well as capital gains and loss, to name some. 

Please advise what steps I need to perform to use TurboTax again. 

Thank you. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sounds like you need to start from scratch or find another preparer that uses ProSeries.

Slava Ukraini!
PhamN
Level 2

Agree 100%!

The third option is to purchase ProSeries and going forward with that. 

Unknown factors:

1. Can common folks like us legally use ProSeries?

2. If so, what's the cost increase, assuming it'll cost significantly more than TurboTax?

3. Is ProSeries as user friendly as TurboTax for common folks like us?

Thanks

abctax55
Level 15

1) yes, but you can't efile without an EFIN

2) a lot more

3) no, tho it is forms driven, similar to TurdohhhhTax.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PhamN
Level 2

@abctax55 @IRonMaN 

Thank you so much. 

The last time I started from scratch for my first ever TurboTax was so many years ago. 

How bad is it to start from scratch again using PDF file of 2022 return?

IRonMaN
Level 15

A pdf is just a copy of the return.  Everything will need to be loaded like it was the first time you ever filed a return.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

And you mentioned rentals.... so all prior depreciation info will have to be entered too.  Asset by asset. With all the 'correct' depreciable lives entered too.

( Generic Comment )"
PhamN
Level 2

100%!

That was my fear!

😉

Thank you for that pinpoint clarification🙏

abctax55
Level 15

It's time consuming, and tedious, and there's a lot of room for error.

This is why many of us are so, so reluctant to switch software.  Even when we are promised that any conversion will work 100%, absolutely correctly <w>

( Generic Comment )"
PhamN
Level 2

So true!

I was happy at the time I provided my TurboTax data file to my tax accountant. I knew it'll save him so much time, not to mention it's 100% accurate. 

Switching to ProSeries was something I just knew now after he's no longer providing this service. I really had no choice but to switch back to TurboTax😪

I now wonder if the 1031 Exchange in 2022 will further complicate this manual data entry process for the 2023 return?

0 Cheers