Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to record Nominee Business Income in Intuit QBO?

dturner959
Level 2
  1. I have a client that has a S-Corp business and she also worked as an Independent Contractor for several months in 2022 and 2023.
  2. The 1099's she received were issued in her name.
  3. She has expenses, namely mileage and some supplies and meals, to offset the 1099 income.
  4. I would like to nominee the 1099 income to her S-Corp and record the offset expenses, however, I am not sure how to accomplish this, I would like to record a transaction in the S-Corp Intuit QBO, but I do not know what I should use for the the difference between the Income and expenses. I assume Shareholder Distribution, however, that would create a Capital Gain distribution to the Shareholder(She is the sole shareholder).

My questions are:

1. Is it OK to Nominee this income to her business? She deposited all the 1099 income into a personal account.
  2. Is a journal entry the best course of action to record this income and expenses on the S-Corp books?
  3. Should I record the offset to Shareholder Distribution? (Example Entry below)
    • Shareholder Distribution
    • Expenses
      • Nominee Income 
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I have a client that has a S-Corp business and she also worked as an Independent Contractor for several months in 2022 and 2023."

Then you have a Sub S return and a schedule C to prepare.  You can't be "nomineeing" things that don't belong somewhere else.

Slava Ukraini!
dturner959
Level 2

She is a Dentist who has a S-Corp Dental practice and she was an Independent Contractor Dentist for several other dental offices.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Unless the checks were made out to the sub S, the revenue doesn’t belong there.  Why didn’t she have the other dentists pay the sub S instead of her?

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Is that her SSN or the S Corp EIN on the 1099?

If she was doing the same work at the dental office for her S Corp as she did for others, then she should be contracting as acting on behalf of the S Corp. She submits a W9, as well, to these customers (which is not the patients, but these other dental offices or hospitals) so that it is clear they are contracting for her services through her professional entity.

"and she was an Independent Contractor Dentist for several other dental offices."

This is often an issue with perspective.Yes, no matter which way this gets contracted, since she is not being hired as an employee of the other dental offices, she is independent. As a person working for her own entity, she (via her corporation) can contract with others. That means these other dental offices would be her Clients, under contract. The contract between herself, as President of the Corporation and the licensed dentist, is independent to those clinics. They are not hiring her, as an employee. They are contracting for her services, which should have been done under the S Corp.

There are some circumstances where a person has a business entity as the S Corp, and performs other services not under the S Corp. Example: A S Corp for the dental practice and an LLP for a traveling mobile clinic partnered with other dentists. There are reasons to separate functions into separate entities, for liability purposes, for instance.

"Independent contractor" does not also mean "Not Corporation." It means, "Not our employee" for her customers with whom she contracts to provide her services.

I'm surprised there isn't some State licensing or insurance requirement that she isn't supposed to be working under her SSN.

It's not too late to fix this for 2023.

"I assume Shareholder Distribution, however, that would create a Capital Gain distribution to the Shareholder(She is the sole shareholder)."

Nope. She is supposed to get paid reasonable wages for services, through payroll. A distribution from an S Corp isn't a Capital Gain distribution. There are different types of Distributions.

How did she handle payroll? Did she keep all the funds from those "independent" jobs herself, directly, or run them through the S Corp as payroll?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
dturner959
Level 2

That is what I advised her to do, but I didn't find out about this until this month. She never consulted with me about how to set this up or the tax implications.

0 Cheers
dturner959
Level 2

Unfortunately, she provided her SSN to the dental offices where she worked as an independent contractor, and deposited the funds into a personal account.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Then it's Schedule C income.

Ex-AllStar