Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a Tax Return

MikeH53
Level 1

I have a client who is getting  $1,112 a month in welfare for the wife, husband and child.  The wife received a W2 for $3,000 with no federal withholding.  Should I file a joint tax return and claim the child?  Will filing the tax return affect their welfare.  They are living with the wife's family and they are not claiming them as dependent.

Than

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
qbteachmt
Level 15

"a month in welfare"

Is this TANF? "Temporary" help.

"Will filing the tax return affect their welfare."

Everything you asked means you need to do the research. No one on the internet can answer such specific questions. They are your clients, and you know the details that matter.

You might start here:

https://www.usa.gov/welfare-benefits

I would point out that you file taxes for the taxpayer if there is a requirement for them to file, or when filing gives them some benefit such as refundable credits. You also file for the facts and circumstances, not out of consideration for what else might happen.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Will filing the tax return affect their welfare."

As stated above, the rules of the welfare program apply. But FYI the IRS and state know about the W-2 income whether or not a 1040 is filed.

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

filing a tax return depends on IRS regulations not other programs. Your client is under the filing requirements, but should be entitled to the EIC of $1029, which is a refundable credit, and also a small additional child tax credit