Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependant care

Taxlady2021
Level 2

Husband and wife each have $5000 in a FSA with their employers. 2 children in day care with $19000 in expenses. The $10000 is coming up as taxable. Please advise. 

Thank you

• Kathy

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm pretty sure $5,000 is the nontaxable limit, so $5,000 is taxable.

Check your entries for the $19,000 expenses. Something must be wrong to have $10,000 show up as taxable.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'm pretty sure $5,000 is the nontaxable limit, so $5,000 is taxable.

Check your entries for the $19,000 expenses. Something must be wrong to have $10,000 show up as taxable.

Ex-AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

I agree with SJR.  One $5,000 limit for MFJ.  This landed in "Industry Discussions" so if you let folks know what software you're using (ProSeries / Lacerte / PTO) we might be able to point you to some data entry issues.

If you look at the 2441 you have to approach this from both directions.  1) Here's who got paid and how much.  2) Here's how much it costs to care for these dependents.  So you'll need to give the software the breakdown of both sections.

I would expect $5,000 added to taxable wages with a "DCB" notation.

Taxlady2021
Level 2

Thank you 

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers