Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-MISC box 3 other income - Short term disability

my
Level 2

How do I enter in ProSeries that the income reported in box 3 of a 1099-MISC is non-taxable short term disability income?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Everything I see when I google it looks like its taxable income, but not taxable to your state....this is from NYs website
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/paid_family_leave.htm

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Click the WHERE DO I ENTER button on the toolbar and type in 1099MISC

0 Cheers
my
Level 2

It takes me to the "Other Income Worksheet". That worksheet doesn't have the option of disability income. It just gives you an option "Other Income from box 3". The problem is that the program accepts it as taxable income.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Why do you think its non taxable?  Items reported on a 1099MISC are generally taxable or a 1099 wouldnt have been issued.

my
Level 2

My understanding from the client is that the money she received was from paid family leave and that the premium for was deducted from her weekly paycheck.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The 1099 was issued by her employer?    Did you see the check stub to see if it was pretax or post tax deduction?

0 Cheers
my
Level 2

The 1099 was issued by the insurance company and the stub shows that it was post tax.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Everything I see when I google it looks like its taxable income, but not taxable to your state....this is from NYs website
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/paid_family_leave.htm

my
Level 2

Thank you for your help.

sjrcpa
Level 15

If correct client should contact employer and/or insurance company and get a corrected 1099. BTW, even if it is taxable it should be on a W-2 not a 1099.

Ex-AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
That NY website says you pay the premiums post tax and the benefits you collect are taxable for federal....Ive never seen this myself.