Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.

Superseded Original Tax Return

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superseded Original Tax Return


Prepare and e-file a “Superseded Original Tax Return”.

Status: New
Vote now if this is a good idea
Level 3

Any changes to being allowed to supercede and efile?  It is April...


Level 15

Thanks for letting us know it is April.  I'm sure a lot of folks have been so overwhelmed this year that they might not know what month it is.

Level 3

First, Ironman was not helpful.  Second, you can efile the amended return - so just used that

Level 4

Here's what Patrick Dimmitt, ex-IRS, said today on this topic on the NAEA Board:

Note that the IRS treats an amended return filed before the due date as a superseding return.  See IRM and IRM  If you are filing the superseding return on paper using the original form, mark the top of the return "Superseding Return" so it is identified as such.  For individuals, efiling is limited to amended returns.  Again, an amended return filed before the due date will be treated as a superseding return.  If you want to file the superseding return using Form 1040, it must be done on paper, and again, mark the return at the top, "Superseding Return.

Note if a return is filed by the unextended due date, a filing after the original due date will not be considered a superseding return even if there is a filing extension."

Level 3

Jerry you were so much more helpful than Ironman.  Thank you for that comprehensive post.

Post comment