Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You file the extension and the client pays via the web

When the client makes the payment on the IRS website, ss it okay to process the extension even though it says Paper Check?

I am likely over thinking this.   I'm almost certain that the IRS will match the filed 4868 extension to the payment from the web and determine the actual payment amount to apply to the tax return.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

If your client pays over the web by Direct Pay or credit/debit card, the payment is registered on the date of payment and it would be treated as an application for automatic extension so long as that is the payment type chosen.  Your client should retain the acknowledgement and send you a copy.

There's no need for you to e-file another extension.  Not sure where the paper check comes in though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
itonewbie
Level 15

If your client pays over the web by Direct Pay or credit/debit card, the payment is registered on the date of payment and it would be treated as an application for automatic extension so long as that is the payment type chosen.  Your client should retain the acknowledgement and send you a copy.

There's no need for you to e-file another extension.  Not sure where the paper check comes in though...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

My understanding is in that situation, the 4868 isn't required, as long as the client indicates their web payment is for an extension (item 1 on the instructions).

If you don't want to rely on them making the right selection in EFTPS/IRS site, then yes you could e-file the extension through Lacerte with no direct debit payment, as well.

- Rebecca