Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the loss on the sale of my business property showing as a passive loss on the K1 pass through?

Maui Joe
Level 1

The sale of my S corp business property is showing up as a passive loss on my K1 pass through.  It should be active income and show up in schedule 1, line 9 on the 2020 1040 return.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Check the data entry for the 1231 loss. There are 2 fields.

Ex-AllStar
Maui Joe
Level 1

What I am seeing is that I somehow have the S Corp set up as a passive activity since the income from the S Corp is showing up on the form 8582 worksheet.  Any idea how I can change the S Corp to active income status?

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Are you asking about (1) the input for 1120S, related to the reporting of the loss or (2) the input for 1040, related to the reporting of the K-1 items on the shareholder's return?

For (2), @sjrcpa has answered.  Line (9) Net section 1231 gain / loss has two lines.  You make the call.

For (1), what kind of activity was the sale for?   For example, if it was for a Form 8825 activity, check the non-passive box in the General Info on the 8825 input screen 21.

Note: The K-1 for 1120S has only one line 9.  For rental activities, the passive vs non-passive is reflected on the statement. 

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers