Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What goes in the field for Canada Article XVIII in the nonresident Form 1040NR screen?

anne1
Level 1

I am working on a return for a couple who are dual-status filers for 2020 (10 months in US, then moved to Canada and became nonresidents of US last 2 months of 2020).  Trying to properly record the Social security income per US-Canada tax treaty.  How do I get Lacerte to pick this up right.  Does the field for "Canada Article XVIII" assist with this?  It creates a negative number in other income on Schedule 1.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

In Lacerte, you can often learn much by pressing F1 when you are at that input entry. The one you are questioning leads to::

Canada Article VXIII nonqualified compensation income

Income, Credits, Taxes, Adjustments Screen 58; Code 142

Enter the nonqualified compensation income related to Canada Article XVIII. This entry will be included on Form Schedule 1, other income, as a negative amount. Attach Form 8833 to the return to support this entry.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2018/feb/tax-treaty-benefits-us-citizens-residents.html also gives some help - Look at Exceptions 5 & 7.

I am not familiar with this, but I think you found what you need. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers