Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle credit 2022 or 2023

Can the vehicle credit be claimed in 2022 or 2023?

The contract was signed in 2022 but the car was not received until 2023.

However, if you entered into a written binding contract to buy a new clean vehicle after December 31, 2021, and before August 16, 2022, but took possession on or after August 16, 2022, you must claim the credit on a tax return for tax year 2022. Depending on the date the vehicle is delivered, you can claim the credit on your original, superseding, or amended 2022 tax return.

And this from the IRS:

If I order a new clean vehicle in one year and don't receive it until a subsequent year, when do I claim the credit? (updated March 31, 2023)

A5. The New Clean Vehicle Credit is claimed in the tax year that the vehicle is placed in service, meaning the tax year that includes the date the taxpayer takes delivery of the vehicle.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I found the answer. Spidell has a good guide to this credit.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3

I found the answer. Spidell has a good guide to this credit.

CMcCullough
Level 3

Is this a paid resource at Spidell?  If not, can you send a link?  I would love to have a good source.  (Though most of my clients, if they can afford an EV, their AGI is too high to take the 2023 individual credit.)

0 Cheers

It is a paid resource. Spidell's annual updates in December and January are essential for me.

0 Cheers