Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacation Home Rental - Depreciation

JimS_1
Level 3

In situations where a vacation home is rented more than 14 days and used more than 14 days or 10% by the owner, Lacerte calculates depreciation and indirect expenses based on the ratio of personal days to total days used (rented + personal).

However, if the vacation home is used less than 14 days, Lacerte does allocate indirect expenses, but does not decrease depreciation for the personal use portion.   Is Lacerte doing this correctly?  

The IRS publications suggest that all expenses should be allocated between personal and rental, whether it's used more or less than 14 days for personal use.

(I'm ignoring interest/taxes and the Bolton decision for this question)

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It seems wrong to me.

I just checked, and ProSeries prorates it (it changes the business percentage of the asset).

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

On D-22, what code are you using for the rental?  It should be code 11 for a vacation rental.

NOT code 3.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
JimS_1
Level 3

Yes, I'm using Code 11.  That is how Lacerte knows when it's over 14 days to allocate the depreciation based on the rental percentage.  

I just don't understand why it's not using the rental percentage on the depreciation when the usage is under 14 days.

0 Cheers
jharvey
Level 3

You can enter percentage of business use in the depreciation screen.

0 Cheers