Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Crash - Software won't work - How to reinstall without losing all my inputs

AJLInteg
Level 1

Hello,

Recently one of the Lacerte auto-updates was pushed into the 2022 program for the 990s I'm doing. During the unpack and install process, we had a power flicker and the install / update did not complete. I restarted my computer and the shortcut is blanked out on my desktop. When I click on it to start the program I get a blue message that "This app can't run on your PC" and "to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". Ok - great but, if I re-download the 2022 program to install it, won't it overwrite all my work? I've already worked on a bunch of clients and my fear is if I reinstall the software, it will all be erased. Can I reinstall without this happening or no? If so, please explain how to? If no, but there is a work around (grab the old data file in X directory and set it aside etc) that would also be helpful. 

Thank you

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Try the new Lacerte Tool Hub https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/fix-common-problems-and-errors-with-the-l... Use the FORCE install option for best results

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

Ok - great but, if I re-download the 2022 program to install it, won't it overwrite all my work?  No, it won't.

But you do have a back-up to restore from if there are any issues, right?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
AJLInteg
Level 1

I copied the 2022 tax directory file in its entirety. That's the only thing I can think of as to how to backup that data. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Maybe, maybe not.

The data for each module is in the 'idata, sdata, etc (where 'i' means individual, 's' means S-Corp).  You can copy those from your hard drive to another location ( like a flash drive) using file explorer.  You can then change *settings* in the program (once you have it re-installed) to point at those files.

Lacerte does have a back up function (Ctrl + B).  Highlight/select all clients, then send the back up to a location of your choice.  I do it to a flash drive; that flash drive lives with me 24/7.  

I also use the TaxHub to back up data, which goes to the hard drive. I will then copy 'those' files to a flash drive (sometimes twice a day during filing season).  This process takes maybe ten minutes max.

And, there's always the automatic backups (I use Carbonite, but you do have to  force it to back up the actual folders...).

If I sound paranoid - well, I am.  I lost data once (decades ago) due to a lightening strike 50' from my office while I had the program open.  And my most recent backup was about 10 days old, as it was summer time rather than filing season.  It was still a nightmare.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

You should have daily backups of more than Lacerte files, too.

Ex-AllStar