Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust pays tax on final return

joantax
Level 3

The trustee wants to pay the tax from the trust account without K-1's.  Program generates diagnostic saying needs beneficiaries percentages because of capital gain.  HELP.  I just want to e-file and let the trust pay the tax on the final return.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Because that's the way it's supposed to be done on a final return.

How about the trust makes estimated tax payments for each of the beneficiaries? This will be treated as distributions and then trust distributes the rest of the cash, after paying you.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

Is this a simple trust or a complex trust?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
joantax
Level 3

complex. Profit.  The diagnostic won't let me file unless I pass through income to beneficiaries.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Because that's the way it's supposed to be done on a final return.

How about the trust makes estimated tax payments for each of the beneficiaries? This will be treated as distributions and then trust distributes the rest of the cash, after paying you.

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 13

<<let the trust pay the tax on the final return.>> This is not allowed.

Besides, trusts typically pay tax at a higher rate than individuals. Why would the trustee want to pay more tax?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
BobKamman
Level 15

@Accountant-Man  Because the trustee didn't know and didn't ask, and the beneficiaries have already spent the money.  Happens all the time, and with increasing frequency now that there have been so many trust promoters for so long.  

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Does the trust have any money left?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

How else would the trustee be paying the taxes?  Out of his own pocket? But then, how is this a final return if there is money left?  Lots of people out there selling trusts; not so many selling information on tax consequences. 

0 Cheers
joantax
Level 3

Plenty of money left.  But Lacerte won't let the Trust pay the tax because of final return.

0 Cheers