Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer received social security benefits from France & Germany. How is this entered in the system for federal and NYS purposes?

neil
Level 2

NEIL ROTH
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Your question is about making input but the more important question is whether you have already reviewed the income tax treaties as well as the protocols to determine the appropriate reporting positions.  Federal income tax treatments for social security benefits from France and Germany are very different.

In terms of input, foreign social security benefits are fundamentally treated as pension for US tax purposes; you may, therefore, enter them on Line 4 or Line 5.  My preference in this case would be to use Line 5 (i.e. Screen 14.1).

NY generally follows all federal income tax treaties.  In other words, no NY adjustment would normally be required for treaty positions taken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

Your question is about making input but the more important question is whether you have already reviewed the income tax treaties as well as the protocols to determine the appropriate reporting positions.  Federal income tax treatments for social security benefits from France and Germany are very different.

In terms of input, foreign social security benefits are fundamentally treated as pension for US tax purposes; you may, therefore, enter them on Line 4 or Line 5.  My preference in this case would be to use Line 5 (i.e. Screen 14.1).

NY generally follows all federal income tax treaties.  In other words, no NY adjustment would normally be required for treaty positions taken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
neil
Level 2
The response seems to indicate that there may be different rules that apply to German and French social security benefits.  We are not certain of that fact and could use some direction in that area. Further, if we read the response correctly, it  says to show the income with other social security income.  That being said, would it not be proper to indicate the source at that time?
NEIL ROTH
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
And for that you give a Not Helpful? Read the treaties with the two countries.  You just received expert advice.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@poolcleaner I just don't get it.

@neil Yes, there are different tax treatments for French and German social security.  My response points you in the right direction and provided information above and beyond what you asked for in your post.  And this is not helpful?  I would have otherwise gladly provided more guidance but it looks like you prefer to do your own research.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
leonnazarian1
Level 1

That is a nice response. Can you send me a link to an article or some authority that would corroborate your view point. I am particularly interested to know whether foreign pension (that was treaty exempted from fed t/r) would be ALSO exempted from NY state t/r. I'd really appreciate. 

LN. 

0 Cheers