Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SurePrep Issue with Lacerte

jerry
Level 5

For those that use SurePrep with Lacerte, beware of an issue with exempt dividends and interest.

SurePrep calculates the amount of in-state dividends and interest, but sends them improperly to Lacerte.  So in Lacerte, on Screen 11 or 12, they *look* correct.  However, something is messed up in how SurePrep inserts them into Lacerte, so when Lacerte calculates state dividends or interest, all is calculated as out-of-state.

This isn't a Lacerte issue per se, but SurePrep users need to be aware of it.  I notified SurePrep about it 11 months ago, but they made no progress in fixing it, despite escalations all the way to the CEO of Thomson Reuters (he ignored me).  I've verified it's still there this year.

The workaround is to delete the "In State Municipal bonds" number on Screens 11 or 12 that SurePrep inserted, then type the same number in again manually.

Also, BitDefender keeps notifying me that a SurePrep file that it automatically downloaded 2 weeks ago (SurePrep.OrchFax2Tax.TestHarness.exe) is infected with a malicious virus.  SurePrep advised me to just whitelist it.  Malwarebytes does not see the file as malicious, so maybe it's OK.  But I'd quarantine it just in case.