Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax refund worksheets?

Couls Law
Level 3

Taxpayer received two State tax refunds in 2022 - one for their 2021 return and a second for an amended 2020 return.   I'm thinking there should be separate worksheets for the State refunds taxable in 2022 but Lacerte is only giving me one, which includes the combined total of both refunds. 

Taxpayer deducted sales tax in 2021 but income tax in 2020.  I do not believe the 2020 refund to be taxable but I was hoping Lacerte would generate a separate worksheet for the 2020 refund.  What am I thinking / doing wrong?

Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

There may be a worksheet in the amended 2020 file.

Or just pull one from the 1040 instructions and fill it out.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
qbteachmt
Level 15

Only an actual SALT above the limit would be offset by a refund:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/with-new-salt-limit-irs-explains-tax-treatment-of-state-and-local-tax-r...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Couls Law
Level 3

Taxpayer's SALT paid in 2020 (Sch A line 5d) was $50K.

Amount deducted was $10K (Sch A line5e).

Refund on the amended State return is $15K.  It's nontaxable because $15K is less than $40K (the excess SALT paid over the SALT deducted).  

I was hoping Lacerte would spit out a worksheet for that.  Am I lost or what?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

There may be a worksheet in the amended 2020 file.

Or just pull one from the 1040 instructions and fill it out.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Couls Law
Level 3

That's what I just figured out.  You have to run the calc outside the current year program and use override input box if any of it is taxable.  Thanks.