Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State return is incorrectly marked as MFS, but federal is MFJ. How do I fix this?

JMMTAXMAN
Level 1

Finished inputting a multi-state return and when I went to finalize, one of the states incorrectly is marked as MFS, but the filing status in the client details section is set to MFJ. I cannot figure out how to switch the state to MFJ. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jharvey
Level 3

There is an override for AR filing status in Screen 3, Miscellaneous info, in the Arkansas Miscellaneous section. However, if you do this the taxpayers may owe more tax so be sure to review the tax return carefully.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

What state? Does only one of the spouses have income from that state? Might MFS for that state be appropriate?

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

@sjrcpa You're just trying to spoil the fun by asking questions like "which state."

JMMTAXMAN
Level 1

Arkansas. They moved during the year. Spouse has a W2 filing with both states, taxpayer has K1 income only. Creating a fake W2 for taxpayer with withholdings from AR did not change the status.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I haven't done an Arkansas return lately but with other states, the software figures the best way to file, which is often MFS on a combined return.  It won't let you use the method that costs your client more in taxes, unless you override.  There might be a box to check on the state information sheet that will allow you to do that.  But make sure there's not a marriage penalty for MFJ.  When both have incomes, there might be.  

jharvey
Level 3

There is an override for AR filing status in Screen 3, Miscellaneous info, in the Arkansas Miscellaneous section. However, if you do this the taxpayers may owe more tax so be sure to review the tax return carefully.