Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Passive Losses When There Are State Modifications

Night Owl
Level 1

I am preparing an IL tax return as part of an individual return with over 20 state returns.  There are several K-1s which are partially sourced to IL.  One also has IL additions and subtractions for bonus depreciation because IL decouples from Federal.  On the Federal level, for simplicity, let's say the net passive losses from IL sources total $10,000 and because passive losses exceed passive income on the federal level are partially disallowed and carried forward on the Federal 8582.  However, for Illinois purposes there is a net add back for bonus depreciation of $15,000 which results in $5,000 ($10,000 federal loss plus $15,000 of bonus depreciation add back) of passive income from IL sources.  However, LaCerte is disallowing the full $10,000 of IL source passive losses that were partially disallowed for federal and fully taxing the $15,000 of IL net additions.  This doesn't make sense to me.  Aren't the additions considered passive income and shouldn't the $10,000 of passive losses be available to offset the $15,000 so that the net income taxed in IL is $5,000 and not $15,000?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

That's really a question of "what does IL law require," and I have no clue there. For my big multi-state returns, I figure the correct answer in Excel and make Lacerte agree, mostly because the -1 errors add up.  My best guess is that you need entries in both the State if Different and State Source columns for each K-1, but even then, you might need to judiciously override. The more K-1s and the more states, the less able you are to rely on Lacerte producing exactly the right output, even if you know what exactly the right input is.

abctax55
Level 15

FWIW, Screen 55.071 is where I do the Illinois overrides for a similar issue.

Lacerte and/or Illinois doesn't make this easy or logical 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Night Owl
Level 1

Thanks, Phoebe!  I tried to determine what IL law is regarding passive losses but the only guidance I can find is You should follow the federal law concerning passive activity income and losses. You are not allowed to refigure your federal passive activity losses.”  This actually makes little sense when the state decouples from bonus depreciation since there could be passive income on the state level while a passive loss on the federal level which is what happened in my case.  Additionally, I would be interested in finding guidance on how to apply the passive loss rules to the states which follow the federal.  Often the state and federal passive losses are very different.  Are you supposed to track the state losses uses the same percentages as the federal allowance/disallowance?  Are you supposed to carryforward how much of the state passive loss is still unused each year?  How would that be accomplished in practice?

0 Cheers
Night Owl
Level 1

Thank you. That is exactly what I did, abctax55! To me it makes no sense for LaCerte to fully tax IL addbacks for depreciation which are passive but disallow the associated passive loss.  I basically used that screen to enter my IL passive losses (before the add back for depreciation). 

0 Cheers