Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So many 2020 and 2021 IRS withholding mismatch notices!!!

Drphibes
Level 7

I have been doing tax returns since the late 80's but I have never seen so many incorrect notices for withholding mismatch between W-2's/1099's and IRS records as I am getting right now.  How about you guys?  Thanks in advance for replying.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Drphibes
Level 7

Must just be my good luck.  Had 2 right after tax season and another 4 show up in 3 days last week.  Every one of them was an error on the IRS's part.  One even had where they doubled the withholding but attributed that 2nd 1/2 to excess Social Security withholding on Sch 3.  There was not a Sch 3 in the return that was filed.

Thanks all!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
BobKamman
Level 15

I have not seen any yet, but thanks for the warning.  Are the notices correct? Maybe IRS is just matching more of them.  Or are they incorrect?  Maybe the programmers working on that project all came down with Covid.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

So far I have seen a grand total of zero.  Maybe a few folks at the IRS wanted to have some fun with a tax preparer and drew your name out of a hat.

Slava Ukraini!
Drphibes
Level 7

Must just be my good luck.  Had 2 right after tax season and another 4 show up in 3 days last week.  Every one of them was an error on the IRS's part.  One even had where they doubled the withholding but attributed that 2nd 1/2 to excess Social Security withholding on Sch 3.  There was not a Sch 3 in the return that was filed.

Thanks all!

0 Cheers