Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule E Depreciation - State Identifier

drbdrb
Level 3

My individual client was a NY resident for all of 2021. They owned two rental properties in NJ and one in VA. When entering the income/expense/depreciation for each rental, I code each item according to the state where the rental is located (NJ or VA). The diagnostic is giving me a message, "Depreciation asset #2 [a rental located in NJ]:  This asset is associated with a state that is different from the state identifier that is associated with the Schedule E. To change the state identifier for the asset, select the 'Assign entries to' box in the upper right of the Depreciation screen and choose the appropriate state [ref #20029689]". I selected New Jersey in the "Assign entries to" box. Must be doing something wrong and would appreciate assistance. Thank you.

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

If the depreciable assets are correctly coded, have you checked the Schedule E to ensure that it's also correctly coded?

0 Cheers
drbdrb
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. I'm relatively new to Lacerte. Where do I code the Schedule E? Should the entire Schedule E be coded for one state and if yes, should it be the state of residence? Or do I code Schedule E separately for each property according the state where the property is located?

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I code all the entries in a given Sch E screen to the state the property is located in.

Multi-state is hard!