Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of rental property in an LLC

JF19
Level 2

I need help.  Client has sold rental house and land for $285K.  Land is $44K, House is $104K, improvements of $ 40K. Selling costs of $29K There are a few items on depreciation schedule that will have recapture.  Lacerte is computing and showing on Worksheet Gain on Disposition of Sec 179 Assets of $66K for Schedule K, Line 20.  This makes no sense to me--why would it say gain on sale of Sec 179 assets when the land has no depreciation, and almost all the assets were depreciated 27.5 years straight line.  I have broken out from the bulk sale what would be subject to recapture.  I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Lacerte and no one can tell me where this calculation comes from.  Anyone out there that can help?  Assets have been held more than 1 year.  Thanks!!

1 Comment 1
pamdory
Level 8

Is there a chance that an asset was added with prior depreciation entered in the Prior Section 179 field instead of Prior depreciation or amortization field?  I seem to recall these fields have changed positions some year in the past and I've caught myself entering a new client's info into the wrong field on the first try.