Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royalties

Elkevano
Level 2

Are royalties (acting/play) after the death of the actor subject to self employment tax to the beneficiaries and do they get reported as ordinary income? The beneficiaries have set up an LLC for this.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

Sounds like residuals during the actor's lifetime, which was subject to SE tax.  That's now income in respect of decedent, which is not subject to SE tax.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Elkevano
Level 2

Thank you! Where does it go on Form 1065? When I enter it on 8825, it is asking me for an address. When I enter it as ordinary income it makes it subject te SE tax for managing member. 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

But if the right to receive residuals was bequeathed to the beneficiaries, shouldn't it be the beneficiaries' income rather than as a passthrough from the LLC?  Whether the beneficiaries assign or contribute that income to the LLC shouldn't change that fact, by fruit of the tree doctrine.  If the arrangement was structured by an attorney or financial planner, it'd be best to consult that person as to the technicality, operations, and the appropriate tax reporting position.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I don't do partnerships, but wouldn't this just go on Sch K box 7?

Elkevano
Level 2

There are so many different royalty sources and a lot of beneficiaries so to make it easy, they set up an LLC and make distributions from there. Thank you for you help!

0 Cheers