Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns sent to IRS with no tax data

tax_mouse
Level 2

Anyone else experiencing returns being sent and accepted that have not been worked on?  I have at least two that say accepted and I haven't even seen the clients yet.  I'm freaking out!!!

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
dkh
Level 15

How is that possible?   Don't you have to check  Return Ready to EF  and also select to the return in the EF Center ..... ???

tax_mouse
Level 2

I haven't even opened these returns, or met with these clients yet!  This is not good!

abctax55
Level 15

Verify you haven't been hacked.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dkh
Level 15

Are you the only person accessing the program?   Or could another employee be responsible ?

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Hacked is my guess, too.

tax_mouse
Level 2

I have checked the client activity log. No one has been in the returns at all.

0 Cheers
tax_mouse
Level 2

We have a secure private network.  I don't believe we have been hacked.  I believe it may be a glitch in the software.

0 Cheers
tax_mouse
Level 2

The software does not do taxes... we do them.  There is no reason myself or anyone else in our firm would send an empty return thru to IRS.  It has to be some type of glitch.  I've been doing taxes for 27 years using Lacerte and this could just be one of those  years that may contain a few more glitches than usual.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

This story is familiar.  Someone posted something similar a year or two ago.  But I don't recall if they ever really figured out what happened.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

"We have a secure private network"

Secure private networks can be hacked. I don't think anything is invulnerable.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

Check the efile record for each return. I think it has the IP address of the computer that sent the return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers