Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recapturing Depreciation on In-home office

willatbird
Level 5

This is when working as a lonely sole-proprietor can get frustrating.....

I've been trying to follow the instructions for re-capturing depreciation on an in-home office for the sale of a home, but it seems like I'm making it more complicated than it should be.  Anybody have any "tried and true" system that they use?

I allocated the sales price on the depreciation schedule so that the gain is ONLY the accumulated depreciation. Then I reduced the sales price on the disposition entry form by that amount.

I also reduced the basis on the disposition entry by the basis on the 4797 (before depreciation since the depreciation is recaptured on the other form).

The recaptured depreciation is showing up on the Schedule D as long term capital gain. Isn't it supposed to be recaptured as ordinary income?

BTW: The gain is well above the taxpayers' $500,000 exclusion. 

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
willatbird
Level 5

Thanks for confirming. I think I have "summer brain".

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

It should be on Schedule D. It's unrecaptured 1250 gain and is taxed at a maximum rate of 25%.

Ex-AllStar
willatbird
Level 5

Thanks for confirming. I think I have "summer brain".

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would input the date of sale on the depreciation input, but NOT the sales price. Input the sale of residence on Schedule D, check the box for Business use in year of sale and input the total amount of depreciation used on OIH as Depreciation allowed after May 6,,,,

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
willatbird
Level 5

I tried that and it didn't seem to calculate it properly. When I read the Lacerte instructions it said I needed to split it.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd dispense with "selling" it through the assets screen.

I'd just enter the whole thing as a sale of principal residence and enter the accumulated depreciation.

Ex-AllStar
willatbird
Level 5

I tried that but I couldn't get it to calculate properly. I wasn't checking a box or something. Already spent too much time on it. Thanks.

0 Cheers
scheunemanncpa
Level 4

The depreciation screen has a sales section to code it as 1250 property and a sale of home section to take the 121 exclusion.  You will end up with a sale that should end up with the depreciation taken as taxable profit and the form showing the proper 121 exclusion