Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

name truncation

gunjang
Level 1

As of last Thursday August 25th there was no error from Iacerte in Individual module regarding e-file error for name being too long. Today with the update version 42.0825 individual module is getting the above e-file error for name being too long. Please review this to resolve the issue as we don't want to keep on truncating taxpayers name.

22 Comments 22
sjrcpa
Level 15

Won't it efile if you just leave it be?

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

MANY years with that diagnostic... and filing has *never* been a problem.  I believe the diag just says 'processing may be slowed down'.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sfmeliss
Level 3

Any update on this from anyone who has tried filing?  It's been a information for years, why the change?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

This portion of the forum is to ask for improvements to the program, not to correct updates that mess with that which was correct in the first place.

Use Ctrl + :L to send an communication to Lacerte about the error. You can attach a copy of the return, if you think that would help. Give as much detail as you can about the issue and it should help them to correct the problem. 

Posting it here is a waste of pixels. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
jtgcpa
Level 3

Just in case people are looking for help/answers here, the diagnostic is now fatal for e-filing. 

Lacerte needs to fix this issue, as it's frustrating to have to deal with this when you're trying to e-file. 

sfmeliss
Level 3

Called Lacerte today and according to the woman I spoke with there won't be a fix.   

sjrcpa
Level 15

@jtgcoa I guess you truncate the name. 

I might give the client a copy with their full name and just truncate it before I efile.

Ex-AllStar
jtgcpa
Level 3

@sjrcpa That is EXACTLY what I do.  No client likes receiving a copy of their returns with their name butchered.  It's just one more thing to do, though, during filing season.

scheunemanncpa
Level 4

It will efile and be accepted if you disable efile checking.  I did that last week on a client with a long last name and spouse with it hyphenated with another long name.  I would only do the disabling on that specific return.  It will go through.

IntuitGabi

We're verifying a fix for this. Thanks, all. 

Bronco
Level 2

How do you disable efile checking?

0 Cheers
sfmeliss
Level 3

Time frame on fix?

George4Tacks
Level 15
Bronco
Level 2

Thanks George!  You are the Man!

LGB1
Level 2

Yeah WELL IT'S OCTOBER 15TH AND IT'S NOT FIXED. LOSERS. I HATE LACERTE.

sfmeliss
Level 3

You can just disable, see above post

Emm1234
Level 3

What happened to fixing this? Now filing a 2022 return and the truncate diagnostic is showing up still. Except now, it is fatal and will not let me e-file the return. 

MagillCPA
Level 2

With the client highlighted, click 'E-File' in upper left. Select 'E-file Support Tools'. Click 'Disable E-File Error...'.

Bollsandcompany
Level 1

How do you disable efile checking?  I cannot find that.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Bollsandcompany Look at the link in the post above a few lines.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
lgalvin
Level 3

For 2022 returns - we are getting the same efile diagnostic regarding truncated names and the only solution seems to be only showing a first initial.  This means the return only has the client initial and when we do organizers next year, it will not show the full name.  Clients are usually pretty sensitive about how their name appears.  The return is not validating so it is preventing efiling.  This is happening on returns that have NEVER had this diagnostic before and the names are not even that long.  Seems to happen when there is a double last name.  I know we can bypass errors, but this should not be needed, seems like it should corrected and creates an extra step.  From my reading, it seems the IRS matches the SSN and the first significant letter of the last name, not the first. 

This has happened on quite a number of returns this year - but not early in the season, only after a prior update. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

AFAIK, it's been happening all filing season.  Simply "Disable e-file Error"  (upper menu bar > E-File > e-file support tools > the very last one.

Then, efile the return.

I've done at least 5 in the last two days.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers