Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name Control

Saniam29
Level 2

I am trying to determine the Name Control for a Trust.  The EIN was obtained over 30 years ago.  It is an insurance trust and 1041s were never required until this year, which will be the initial and final year.  By the rules, I would use the first four letters of the last name.  The issue is that the last name is three letters.  The name is hypothetically The John ABC and Mildred ABC Irrevocable Insurance Trust.  Lacerte is using IRRE (maybe thinking that is the last name?).  Should I go with that?  If I should use the last name, should I use ABCI?

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
jerry
Level 5

If the EIN was obtained 30 years ago, I doubt it was obtained online, where it would use the first name.  And with a 3 letter last name, who knows how they constructed the name control.

Maybe call the IRS Specialty line at 800-829-4933?

0 Cheers
Saniam29
Level 2

I tried filing with the Name Control generated by the tax program and the returns were rejected as I presumed.  Resolution is to have the trustee call the Helpdesk, which she will do tomorrow.  I will be interested to see what the Name Control turns out to be.