Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing for a deceased tax payer

crystalalz
Level 1

Hello. I attempted to file a return for a married couple. The husband had passed away in December. The e-file rejection reason states the following:

The SSN used in the filing has been locked by the Social Security Administration because their records show it belongs to someone who is deceased.

The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration. If after verifying the social security number and last name you feel this was received in error, please contact the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

These situations may take some time to resolve. You have the option to wait for a resolution from the IRS (this takes 4 to 6 weeks or more) or file this filing by mail.

Has anyone ever faced this issue? Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

We end up filing by mail.

Expect delays from the IRS.

Ex-AllStar
crystalalz
Level 1

Would there need to be any update on how we list the husband or spouses name? 

0 Cheers
kgreen8393
Level 5

Many times with a couple, if the spouse that passed was the taxpayer, we will switch and list the surviving spouse as the taxpayer and the deceased as the spouse.  This will usually allow an e-file.

sjrcpa
Level 15

That might work.

I had never done this until I got a VA rejection this year telling me I had to list the surviving spouse as taxpayer. The federal return had already been accepted.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
AFasten
Level 2

Thanks for the advice.

0 Cheers
crystalalz
Level 1

I attempted to switch the names however it still did not go through .. 

0 Cheers
kgreen8393
Level 5

E-Filing is currently not open.  You will need to wait until it opens later this month to E-File.

sjrcpa
Level 15

@crystalalz What year are you filing? The SSN is usually not locked right away.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers