Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciation Categories

NO3281991
Level 1

I'm setting up a depreciation schedule for a consolidated entity and I'd like to break out my depreciation schedule by entity first and then by the usual categories (furniture and fixtures, improvements, etc.).  Is it possible to create subcategories in this way?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

Here is a nice list of all the methods https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/depreciation-methods/00/3537 you might bookmark for reference.

Capture.JPG

There is a drop down for Category (Ctrl+T) and following that is where you can make up your own. Just a warning, be sure to type your special category exactly the same each time. In my example I used Dohickies this is different that just plain ol' Dohicky  or Dohickie. Each of those 3 would be their own category. 

These can be use to present a nice depreciation worksheet with totals for each of the categories. They could be Divisions in the company, or division in types of assets. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
NO3281991
Level 1

Would  it be possible to make subcategories for my custom categories?  Like for instance, there's the consolidated full entity and say Dohickies is one of the entities that was consolidated (this company is made up of multiple LLCs that are taxed as one consolidated entity).  After creating Dohickies as a category, would I then be able to give it subcategories to split out Dohickies assets by leasehold improvements, buildings, etc.? 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

No. You could make the custom categories be the entities. Here I used Corp, LLC1 and LLC2 to identify those belonging to the master corporation and those related to the two LLCs

Capture.JPG

I do not believe you can do more than this with the program. An external spreadsheet could be made. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
NO3281991
Level 1

Thanks for looking into it for me, I wanted to be sure that Larcerte didn't have a feature for it before building an excel spreadsheet.

0 Cheers