Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penalty calculations for CA Disaster areas

Mandy MIA
Level 2

Does anyone know if Lacerte is going to update the penalty calculations for California filers due to the 11/15/2023 due date for filing and payment?  Are we going to have to manually calculate or override to $0 and have the client get notices?

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

HIGHLY unlikely, IMHO.

I see the choices as:

1) Override, or

2) Split the payments out & enter as if they were paid on the original due dates.

Notices?  I'd be amazed if there aren't notices no matter what method is used.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
taxed2max
Level 3

Spent an hour with tech support supervisor today asking this question, and an hour last week as well.  Nobody seems to know, even to understand what the issues are.  Am thinking you could trick the program by inputting all as timely paid and get around the penalty portion for those payments, but then the dates shown on 2210 will not line up with dates received by IRS.  Hopefully Lacerte will notice this and other inquiries and come up with an update to solve the calculation.

Mandy MIA
Level 2

My frustration is going to be on those clients that paid after 11/15 - penalties should be calculated but only from 11/15 to the payment date...

0 Cheers