Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passive Activity Loss Limitations

Westflorida
Level 1

Client has a rental loss of $10,000 (passive with active participation). They also have $120,000 of W-2 income and K-1 income of $40,000 from a consulting business (active general partner). Form 8582 Part II is not including the $40,000 of nonpassive K-1 income in line 7, Modified AGI. As a result, the rental loss is being allowed despite the fact that W-2 income plus nonpassive K-1 income exceeds $150,000. What am I missing?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

My best guess is the Screen 18 > General Information > You input 1=nonpassive activity or something else in that section that is triggering it.

Is form 8582 being generated?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
itonewbie
Level 15

Are you sure the $40k was not included in the MAGI?  There's no provision for the K-1 income not to be included whether it is passive or not.  You may like to double-check.

My hunch is that the loss was allowed because you did not check the box in the K-1 input that this is a "Not a passive activity", which causes the $40k to show up on Line 3a to offset your passive loss from rental.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Westflorida
Level 1

Thank you for responding.

I checked and the nonpassive box in screen 18 is not checked. Form 8582 is being generated, but it allows the rental loss.

The K-1 input nonpassive box has been checked, and the K-1 income does show as nonpassive in the workpapers.

I had run the return a few days ago, and the rental loss was not allowed. Due to a computer problem, I had to reinput and rerun the return, with the result as described in my original post. 

0 Cheers