Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paper filing question - multiple states

JELLIOTT
Level 2

Client's return was rejected for e-file so we need to file on paper. Three different states. It's been so long since I've done all this copying and assembling - do I need to include all the other states with each state's return? Or can I just file each one as one state+federal? I've tried poking around each state's website but haven't come up with an answer.

Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Personal return?

If the Resident state claims a credit for tax paid to other states, attach those other state returns to the resident state return.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Personal return?

If the Resident state claims a credit for tax paid to other states, attach those other state returns to the resident state return.

Ex-AllStar
JELLIOTT
Level 2

Thank you! I just start looking at the stack of papers and my brain glazes over.

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Also note-if the federal return was rejected, some of the states may still be able to be efiled.

Ex-AllStar
JELLIOTT
Level 2

looking at the lacerte "piggyback" table it looks like two of the three are piggyback only. The third is California. They don't itemize. So maybe that one will go?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

CA should go.

Ex-AllStar