Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optional SE method

JH64
Level 1

Has anyone ever amended a prior return to go back and elect to use the optional SE method? I just realized I should have done that for a client so he could claim EIC.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

From the instructions for Schedule SE

"Changing Your Method

You can change the method used to figure your net earnings from self-employment after you file your return. That is, you can change from the regular to the optional method or from the optional to the regular method. To do this, file Form 1040-X."

Before you venture too far, consider the cost of the SE vs the EIC. This can also have a long term benefit in accruing Social Security quarters. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

@George4Tacks "Before you venture too far, consider the cost of the SE vs the EIC. This can also have a long term benefit in accruing Social Security quarters. "

Then consider the deduction for half the SE tax.  Then consider whether the retirement savings credit will be reduced.  Also, what about state income tax?  

“Where should I go?" --Alice.

"That depends on where you want to end up." --The Cheshire Cat.

I used it once for a Civil Service retiree who had nine years of Social Security credits and needed ten to collect benefits.  It's been about a dozen years now, and she gets $3,200 a year.  Enough to pay Medicare, and to pay me, and to pay the tax on her Civil Service pension, which would not be enough to be taxed if she hadn't made the mistake of going to work for the federal government in the first place.