Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On 1041 the diagnostics is "a financial Institution EIN is required for this return" but there is not a financial institution fiduciary?

ronee
Level 1
on 1041 the diagnostics is "a financial Institution EIN is required for this return" but there is not a financial institution fiduciary?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Are you trying to file a 1041 with a SSN?

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
TaxMonkey
Level 8

Are you trying to file a 1041 with a SSN?

0 Cheers
rburns
Level 1

I don't see the solution to this question. What is the solution?

0 Cheers
Derrick
Level 3

There appears to be a bogus critical diagnostic "a financial Institution EIN is required for this return" that appeared for me when I added a second state, Arizona, to a California based Trust.  After digging for answers for a while, I concluded that mine is a bug in PTO/Lacerte, clicked ignore to bypass the bug, e-filed all of the returns, and all have been accepted now for several days without a problem.

debradaz
Level 1

How do you "Ignore" and bypass the diagnostic?

0 Cheers
Derrick
Level 3

Image1.png

You click the Ignore checkbox in the top right as shown when you have the diagnostic selected.

Note:  The post was from last year, but the problem still exists this year, I ran into it again this with an unrelated trust, and successfully bypassed and submitted the return again.  I also ran into a new critical diagnostic for Arizona which makes no sense and is also bogus, related to capital gains over 3k.  Was planning on posting about that separately when I get the chance.

NWT_Edgar
Level 2

I get this every year when filing 1041s for AZ and usually just paper-file. Did you just check off the "Form 141AZ Line 15a cannot be less than -3000" diagnostic and try to efile it instead? 

0 Cheers
Derrick
Level 3

Another year's gone by since that post, but looking back real quick for you, I'm seeing only the original critical diagnostic bypassed for institutional EIN still present, however the critical diagnostic for having more than $3,000 in capital gains is no longer present (so presumably they fixed it).  It sounds like your issue though is with capital losses, which is what I expect the diagnostic was originally suppose to be for.  As a result I have no experience to share, I've only passed through positive capital gains over 3k in Arizona.  Best of luck!

0 Cheers
debradaz
Level 1

The error that a financial institution EIN is required is STILL an issue and it has nothing to do with capital gains or losses.  It is strictly a Fiduciary issue and the same work around is needed this year.  You ignore it, check off the diagnostic and it should not prevent you from filing.  However, I have also used the Estate/Trust EIN in that section along with the Trustee name and SS#.  Either of them resolve the issue.

The Arizona $3,000 issue is unrelated to the EIN number.  If the Trust or Estate has losses exceeding $3,000 you must file a paper return.

0 Cheers
lgalvin
Level 3

I have tried the bypass diagnostic for the financial institution EIN and the return is still rejected.  This is a real problem that seems like it should be easy to fix.  There is a field to put in a SSN for the trustee but it is grayed out.  Any suggestions?

0 Cheers
Derrick
Level 3

Only suggestion would be to double check the rejection message you are getting is from AZ, not Intuit, and what exactly the text of the rejection message says.

0 Cheers