Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NY W2 for NJ resident

Chatter
Level 2

Client was NJ resident Jan to Oct and NY resident Nov/Dec and worked in NY all year at multiple employers.  W2's only have NY withholding and NY EIN.  How do I get the correct amount of wages allocated to NJ?  I tried using multi-state on W2 input but that seems to require employer to have NJ EIN?  I tried entering correct amount on screen 50.081 NJ Income but it seems like if I do that, the NJ return can't be efiled.  Any insight greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Chatter
Level 2

I was able to use the N in the source field on Wages input to get the right amount of wages assigned to the NJ return, but I'm getting a diagnostic that state EIN is missing.  It is there for NY but not NJ since there is no NJ EIN on the W2.  The diagnostic is informational.  Is it safe to say that this informational diagnostic will not cause an efile rejection?

As an additional note, when I added the second line to wages for the NJ portion, the medicare and social security wages got erroneously updated for the combined wage amounts.  I noticed it an  adjusted but seems like there is some kind of Lacerte default occurring.

0 Cheers