Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Operating Loss Carryback and forward for a 2013 tax return that has not yet been filed.

alan
Level 2

Hello, I have a client whom have not filed his 2013 tax return with a NOL of >$300K. I am ready to file his tax return today, but will I still be able to carryback 2 years and carryforward the NOL for 2014-2017 tax return onwards OR has his statue of limitations already passed? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You will need to calculate the NOL carryback and forwards, but the Statute of Limitations for a refund is over for 2011, 2012 and 2014.   Any income for those years will absorb and reduce the NOL carryover.

If there is any NOL carryforward left, that is carried to 2015, which is still eligible for a refund.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

You will need to calculate the NOL carryback and forwards, but the Statute of Limitations for a refund is over for 2011, 2012 and 2014.   Any income for those years will absorb and reduce the NOL carryover.

If there is any NOL carryforward left, that is carried to 2015, which is still eligible for a refund.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Election to forego carryback has also expired, which means absorption for the carryback years would need to be accounted for.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers