Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC Form D-400 Residency check boxes

TO_EA
Level 3

I have an NC Form D-400 for an MFJ couple where one spouse lives in CA and one in NC.  I can't seem to get the residency boxes checked correctly for resident spouse.  Both are checked as full year Non-residents. TP is CA full year and Spouse is NC full year resident. Income split looks correct.  Any ideas?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Pick the best poison. Some states do not realize that married couples may live in different states.

For my peace of mind, I attach a statement splaining the situation.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Pick the best poison. Some states do not realize that married couples may live in different states.

For my peace of mind, I attach a statement splaining the situation.

Ex-AllStar
TO_EA
Level 3

Ok. Thanks.  I think I reached same conclusion.  As long as the numbers are right I suppose I'm OK with it. 

Thanks for your time!

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

It is a software limitation.  Lacerte provides only overrides between PY and NR but not FY resident.

The only compromise available, which is not aesthetically pleasing but does convey the correct information about residency period, is to use Screen 55.241, North Carolina Part-Year / Nonresident.  Enter 1 for Spouse: 1=part-year resident, 2=nonresident[O].  Under Dates of Residency - Spouse, enter 01/01/2019 to 12/31/2019 as the residency period.  This will cause the PY box on D-400 Sch PN to be checked and for the correct residency period to be shown.

As for whether the "Income split looks correct", that will depend on whether one both spouses are domicile in CA (or another community property state) because community income laws will apply to income of the spouse whose domicile is in a community property state.

If community property laws apply, I would definitely include a statement showing the allocation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar